tirsdag 22. mai 2012

African mango - scam?

I noticed an advertisement for "African mango" on a Norwegian web site. My initial thought was "What have they come up with this time". Let me rephrase that: "What kind of crap have they come up with this time?"

A few weeks later I decided to look more into this "African mango". I went to the web site afrikanskmango.com (in Norwegian, sorry) and read a page that was intended to convince the reader that "African mango" does in fact work. Well, I checked some of their references. Most of the references are to a website called "LipidWorld.com". There is also a reference to a FoxNews article which is based on research reported to LipidWorld. There is also a reference to Reuters, but the Reuters article is also based on the research reported to LipidWorld. There is also a reference to a an article on a US government web health web site, but this article is also based on the exact same research (or at least the same people behind it).

My research so far tells me that there is not much research on "African mango". I've only come across one study, the one on LipidWorld.com.

According to their research, 102 people were using either using the plant extract (the African mango) or a placebo twice a day. OK, let's just assume that 50% of the 102 people used the African mango. That is 51 people. In average they all lost 28 pounds in 10 weeks without changing their diet or exercise plan. That sounds very much like a miracle. I'm surprised that I couldn't find any testimonials from this study group - or from anyone else who have used African mango later. If I lost 28 pounds "just like that" I would be pretty excited about it. I would blog about "African mango" and praise it. 



Well, there are some that praises it. For example the person on this blog: http://africanmangoscam.vipplatform.com/ ... But doesn't it look obvious? This blog represent one of the African mango brands. I don't consider that a true testimonial. And I don't think it helps the African mango "cause" - if it's as good as they say, why do they have to make these fake testimonials?


I can't tell you whether the study mentioned is a good study or simply a study bought by people who want to market "African mango" as a great way to lose weight. But I would not spend money on a product that has so little research behind it. 

The Norwegian web site also mentions that "everybody" is talking about the African mango. Well, they don't. Talk to someone who really knows how to lose weight, and they will most likely tell you to change your diet and preferably get some exercise! 


If you agree or disagree with any of this, please leave a comment.



Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar

Comments containing links unrelated to this blog post will not be approved and will never show on this site.